Editor’s Note: This trout recipe would be perfect for your latest catch of wild rainbows, browns, brookies or other salmonoids.
Herb Pecan Crusted Trout Recipe: Ingredients
This dish is great for easy entertaining. The flavor of the trout is so mild that even the pickiest eaters will love it.
3/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
2 tablespoons rosemary, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped and divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1-1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
4 6-ounce trout fillets, skinned
Olive oil, for browning
2 tablespoons butter, plus more for browning
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup white wine
3 tablespoons capers
2 cups spinach
2 cups arugula
Herb Pecan Crusted Trout Recipe: Instructions
1. On a plate, combine pecans, rosemary, half the parsley, salt and pepper.
2. Lightly brush one side of fillet with Dijon mustard and press fillet into the pecan mixture to adhere. Set aside and proceed with remaining fillets.
3. Heat about 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. When oil is sizzling hot, place fillets pecan-batter side down in pan and cook for about 3 minutes. Do not crowd the pan; you might have to cook in batches. Flip fillets and cook for about 2 more minutes, or until flaky and golden. Remove fillets to platter and tent with foil. Repeat with remaining fillets.
4. Once all fillets are cooked, add the butter, lemon juice, and wine to deglaze the pan. The brown bits from the fish are truly golden nuggets to be cherished! Add capers and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and stir in rest of parsley.
5. Prepare plates with spinach and arugula and top each one with a fillet. Divide wine sauce evenly among the plates and serve immediately.